Krokbragd for the New Weaver
Wednesday, September 7 – Sunday, September 11, 2022 (9:00 am – 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm)
This is an in-person class hosted at the Vesterheim Folk Art School in Decorah, Iowa.
This class is designed for beginning weaving students who have some experience working on a floor loom, but who would appreciate additional instruction in weaving basics. The class will focus on krokbragd, a three-harness boundweave in which a cotton or linen warp is completely covered by a tightly packed wool weft. Boundweave textiles are suitable for table runners, rugs, coverlets, and wall hangings. The threading and treadling for this weaving structure are simple, and allow the weaver great freedom to explore color and design. This class will provide you with the opportunity to practice the basic skills needed for working on a floor loom and to explore a new weaving technique. This class is appropriate for anyone who is familiar with reading weaving drafts and working at a floor loom and who enjoys creating colorful designs in cloth.
Level of Instruction:
Intermediate beginner. Students should have taken at least one other weaving class using a floor loom.
Supplies: (Full supply list available here)
- Magnet board for holding pattern (optional)
- Tapestry needle
- Graph paper
- Colored pencils
- Stick shuttles (bring as many of these as you have)
- We have many of these tools available in class, so it is not necessary that you buy these items if you do not have them on hand. For this technique, we will need a large number of stick shuttles, so please bring any you have with you to class. Laura has many stick shuttles that she will bring, and the classroom has many available as well.
- The instructor will provide the cotton warp yarn. The cost of the warp will be $10.00.
- For the weft yarn, we will be using Rauma Prydvevgarn. This is available at the Blue Heron Knittery, our local yarn store here in Decorah. If you have Prydvevgarn in your stash, feel free to bring it to class. Otherwise, we will be going down to Blue Heron so that you can select colors for your piece. You will want to use at least four colors, but you will likely wish to use more. The cost of the weft yarn will depend on the number of colors you wish to use. You may wish to share skeins with other classmates since you will not likely use an entire skein. The cost of a skein of Prydvevgarn is approximately $18.50.
August 17, 2022
Please read our COVID-19 Policies here.
The Folk Art School greatly values the health and safety of its learners, teachers, and staff and is continuously monitoring local and national COVID-19 statistics, government recommendations, and peer institution guidelines. As with any activity in a public place, there is an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms related to COVID-19 infection, please stay home. By registering for a class, attending a program, or visiting the Folk Art School, you voluntarily assume all risks related to COVID-19 exposure and assume them willingly and you agree to follow Vesterheim's COVID-19 policies. Thank you for your continued patience, understanding, and respect for the safety of our community as we navigate these difficult times. If you have additional questions, please contact the Folk Art School, at email@example.com or call 563-382-9681.
Click Here to learn more about Laura Demuth